Become a Reviewer on Whispering Stories
Whispering Stories is looking for experienced book reviewers to join our review team.
Reading and reviewing books is an invaluable service for authors. We help them to publicise their books to a wider audience, and help them gain books sales via our reviews.
Being a reviewer for Whispering Stories is done completely voluntarily. There is no payment, however you will receive all the books you review for free, either in e-format, or if in the UK, occasionally paperback copies.
What you need:-
– You need access to an ereader, or a reading device, Ipad, computer with a reading app on it. If you have a Kindle, you also need to have access to the Amazon account it is registered to.
– Your reviews are to be in the same format, and held to the same high standards as other Whispering Stories Reviews.
– The reviews need to be around 300 words, and are due 4-5 weeks after the book is assigned to you.
– The review is to be written fairly, with no major spoilers, and rated accordingly to how you honestly felt about it.
– The review must not contain foul language, or be slanderous. You may give a book a one star rating, but even if you hated a book, you are to be polite in your assessment.
How does it work:-
– I have a list of books that require reading and reviewing, this is updated regularly. I send that list over to you. It includes title, author, page count, genre and synopsis of each book.
– You choose a book from the list, and I then send that book over to your ereader (or to your address if it is a paperback copy).
– You then have 4-5 weeks to read the book, write a non-biased review and email it to me.
– The review needs to include a star rating out of five (it can be half stars).
– I then type the post up completely. This means that I add the synopsis, purchase links, information on the author, etc to the post.
– I then post your review on the blog, this will include your name, so that readers will know that you were the reviewer to review the book.
– The review is advertised on our social media accounts, and then placed on our Amazon, Goodreads, Kobo, Barnes and Noble etc accounts.
– We then start the process all over again.
– Can anyone become a reviewer? Whether you’re young, old, male, female, you can review on Whispering Stories, as long as you can read and write fluent English.
– Can I review for you if I have my own blog? You certainly can.
– Can I place the review on my own blog? Once your review is live on Whispering Stories I have no objection to you advertising that review on your own blog. Please though state on the review that the book was originally reviewed for Whispering Stories, and a link to the blog.
– I don’t like all genres, do I have to read books in genres that I don’t like? No, the list of books that I send over to you contains books from lots of different genres. You just choose the books from the ones you like.
– How will people know that the review was written by me? Your name will appear on the blog post. You will also have your name, a small bio and if you would like one, your picture on our ‘Meet the Reviewers‘ page. This is where readers can find out about the people who review the books on the site.
– Are the reviews edited? To a small extent yes. I check for spelling, punctuation, and grammar mistakes. I may also add/take out the odd word, if the sentence doesn’t flow properly. You should still do your own checks before sending a review to me though.
– I’m an author, but I love to read books, would I be able to review for you? Yes certainly. We already have some authors reviewing for us.
– I review lots of books, can I place any of the reviews I have done outside of the blog on Whispering Stories? I am happy to place some reviews that you have done outside of the blog on the site. They must be of the same standard and length as the requirements needed for reviewing on the blog. You also need to be reviewing the books that are sent to you too.
– Are international reviewers welcome? Certainly, though you must be able to read and write in fluent English. Only ebooks are offered to those outside the UK.
– Will there be a trial period? Sort of. I need to make sure that your reviews are of a good standard, and that you can read and write up a review within the allocated time period. This means that I wait until I have received your first review before adding your details to the ‘Meet the Reviewers’ page.
– What if I start reviewing and decide it’s not for me? There is no contract, and you are free to leave at any time. I do ask that you don’t leave whilst in the middle of writing a review though.
– I would love to join your team, how do I go about this? By contacting –
If you would like to know more, or have any questions you would like to ask, please feel free to send me an email on the above email address.