The Writing Life of: Elizabeth Davies
This week on ‘The Writing Life of:‘ I am thrilled to be interviewing author Elizabeth Davies.
I am the author of three paranormal romances in the Resurrection trilogy, which are about vampires and time travel (yes – really!), The Spirit Guide, and have just published another novel, "The Medium Path", which both feature ghosts. I am currently writing another paranormal romance.
Born and bred in Wales, I lived abroad (ie. England) for many years but have now moved back to the South Wales valleys. I spend my time hiking in the Brecon Beacon mountains, reading and, of course, writing.
1) Do you remember the moment you decided that you would like to become a writer?
No. It was a gradual thing. I’d been messing about with plots and ideas for years, until one day I actually found the ooommph to write the first sentence.
2) How did you go about following your dream?
I think I must have bored my best friend to death. She listened to me for hours and helped me iron out plot holes. I ask her advice whenever I can hunt her down.
3) Is there a particular author that inspires you?
Stephen King – the ultimate craftsman. He tells his stories so well that I forget I’m actually reading.
4) What is your average writing day like? Do you have any strange writing habits?
I write first thing in the morning before I go to work, sitting curled up in my armchair with my laptop balanced on the arm.
5) Do you write Longhand, Type writer, Computer?
6) From all your books, do you have a favourite character?
Grace. She’s my fist published main character. I think I’ll always have a soft spot for her.
7) Do you plot your books completely before hand or do you let your imagination flow whilst in the writing process?
I’m a total ‘seat of your pants’ gal. I’ve tried plotting but the minute I sit down to write, my plans go pear shaped. Now I’ve learned to go with the flow and let my characters to the plotting for me. Very often I’m as surprised at how things turn out as they are!
Concerning your latest book:
Author – Elizabeth Davies
Publisher – CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
Release Date – 26th April 2015
Ruby died nearly one hundred years ago. She saw spirits of the dead when she was alive, and now she is dead she has become a spirit guide who helps ghosts pass on.
When ghosts start being taken by darkness instead of the light, Ruby is forced to seek help from a handsome and unwilling medium, who awakens emotions in her that she thought had died long ago.
8) How long did it take to get from the ideas stage, to the date of publication?
About 9 months, which is average for me.
9) Did you suffer from writer’s block at any stage? How did you overcome it?
Oh, all the time. I very often get to the end of a chapter and wonder where on earth I’m going to go from here. I try not to force it, and usually something will pop into my head at the most unexpected moments.
10) How did you come up with the name(s)for your lead character(s)?
I prefer more traditional names, and I remembered a friend of my grandmother’s who was called Ruby, and it just seemed suitable somehow.
11) If your book was made in to a film, who would you love to play the lead character(s)?
That’s a hard one – I have absolutely no idea, but I’m sure I would enjoy auditioning a selection of hunky men to play Michael!
12) Did you get anyone in particular to read your work before sending it to the publisher i.e family member, friend etc?
I work-shopped ‘The Medium Path‘ through a critique circle (Scribophile), so many, many eyes have seen this, and a couple in particular stayed with me through the whole process and I can’t thank them enough for their support. Especially when they pointed out things that needed to be improved. The manuscript also was distributed to several beta readers before the final proofreads etc.